1st - Chinese dumplings
So you may or may not know that dumplings are traditionally made for the New Year (Chinese New Year this year is January 26th, if you want to note that on your calendar and make some for celebration). There are probably as many dumpling recipes as there are Chinese Families. Everyone has a different way of folding the dumplings too. Harland's mom knows that dumplings are Harland's favorite food item. She also knows that his previously favorite brand of dumpling has CHANGED IT'S RECIPE to the detriment of the dumplings. So she decided to teach me how to make them so I can make them for her son.
For her filling she uses green cabbage, ground pork, soy sauce and some Chinese leeks if she has them or onions if not. This time it was onion. Now there are many recipes out there for fillings. I like a teensy bit of ginger and sesame oil in mine too. I will have to keep messing with the filling until I get it perfect to my likings (fully knowing it will change with H's opinion when he returns, haha).
If you want to read up on Chinese Dumplings - here is a great NPR Article. It also has a recipe attached. Although, they fold theirs a little more elaborately.
Here are the main steps (ignore my chipped nail polish please, I didn't realize my hands would become so prominent over the holiday weekend).
1. Put filling in the middle

2. Fold and pinch together in the middle

3. Fold the ends in, then pinch again and fold and pinch again.

This is the hard part. It took me a lot of tries to do this right. There are a few videos on YouTube if you want to try this on your own (look for "folding Chinese dumplings"). Otherwise, I suggest you come over to visit me and we can make them together and I'll show you. I'd love to make these on my own but you do end up with a lot of them, and I'm not sure what I'll do with all of them!

Then you're finished! Cook and eat!
You'll also note that there are a few wontons in the middle too. I was also given good instruction on how to make these, but I kept ripping the skins. Harland's dad got in trouble for buying the wrong brand of wonton skins, but at least I have the knowledge in my brain somewhere, even if I was less than successful in that venture.
2nd - I want to talk about the soup I made. OMG. This soup is to die for. It has no business being as tasty as it is. I mean, it has what, 6 mundane ingredients? Leeks, potatoes, water, salt, pepper and butter? That's it! It is remarkably good. I had two big bowls earlier. I also froze some to see how it will keep. There is also a small amount left in the fridge. This is - hands down - the very best soup I have tasted. I swear. And I make and eat a lot of soup. I love it. I may go nuts and make it every week. Here it is in its glory cooking (I threw the potatoes in after the leeks, it made a nice little leek circle there, hahaha).

(a few side notes 1.I'll likely lessen the salt a little bit next time 2. I used my potato masher to mash the soup like Julia Powell suggests in her book 3. for the allergic-to-dairy readers: it is okay without the butter, you will still like it.)
A note for people who are dieting and don't want to add the butter... If you can eat butter, you should throw it in, because it is just so much more WITH it. I tasted it both ways - and I know a lot of people omit butter because it is fat, but... Dudes, add it in this. Dunk your bread in your soup instead of buttering it, you totally will not regret it.)
Here's the recipe again - Julia Child's Potato Leek Soup (Potage Parmentier).
Go out to the store and buy some leeks and potatoes NOW. Make this soup! And it is relatively fast! 45 minutes cooking time! And look how pretty it is!


2 comments:
looks incredibly yummy - and I was just needing new ideas for lunch at school... :)
I'm going to make the potage parmentier this week - it took me forever to find the recipe tho even tho I have both volumes - didn't read the little note that says bolded recipes are in vol. 1 :)
Post a Comment