Tuesday, April 18, 2006

as the heel turns

Hopefully I am redeeming myself and lack of knitting by working on this new sock. I have had this yarn for a while... But I needed to learn how to use DPNs and stuff before making a sock with the good stuff. :)

first of all I love the colors of this yarn. This picture is a little off color wise because it was a close up and I couldn't use the flash so it is by the table lamp which is yellowish. But I love the way the wrong side of this sock looks... don't you?


I have just finished the turn of the heel. I can not believe that you can make yarn do this! It is so exciting! I want to put heels on everything! I really hate knitting the ribbing because it is not second nature to me and I have to think. And while I have to think while turning the heel... it just is so cool when it is done that it tickles me to death!


Here it is in close up.


Okay that all being said I am not sure I like the way the color variation is coming out. I like the orange and the red stripes around it. And I kinda like the way the light green created a swirl around the sock onthe ribbing. But then above the heel it stopped swirling and became a big blob. I guess that is what knitters call "color pooling". I can share their frustration because I liked the swirl. I do not like the pool so much. Luckily the heel came and shook things up. And I love the way the bottom of the heel came out stripey. Don't remind me that no one will see it. hee hee.


And please don't worry, I will never make anyone socks this colorful unless they request it.
:)

6 comments:

Susan said...

Extremely fun!

KBlicious said...

so i am still aching to make socks, thanks to you, my sock hero. (You are totally my sock hero, I forgot to answer that) Real American Herooooooooos. We salute you, Ms. Fabulous Knit Sock Maker! i'm not quite as clever and creative, i'll need a couple weeks to finish that jingle.

so funny thing, though, i was talking to my favorite local knitter about my projects and telling her my sock hero is making me obsessed with socks, as if i needed a new obsession, and she says to me, incredulously, SOCKS?! I reply, yeah, socks. She says, more incredulously, like, SOCKS?!?! I'm like, yeah, socks. She says, after a pause.... why? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Then she gave in and told me she wanted to make stockings and she is now officially charging me with mastering socks and DPNs so i can hold a workshop for our group. sigh. See what you did?! i'm going to be pestering you about sock crafting to an intolerable degree very shortly, you've been officially warned. ;)

heart you, my real american sock knitting hero!

Anonymous said...

cool!!
Sometimes I like pooling and sometimes I hate it, it depends on the colors and how it's pooling. KB isn't the only one who's in love with socks because of you! I've got some on the needles that have been sitting there unfinished for atleast a week now and you make me want to go at 'em again!

BTW - there's no deadline for the lucybug.org knit-along for either joining or finishing, we'd love to have you with us if you decide to join!

Jessica said...

I am not sure I should be awarded all this sock credit! I mean - this is only my second pair!

KB - You are going to get to teach a class!?! Very exciting! I am glad you will be spreading the sock love!! Hopefully I will have answers to your questions, friend!! Wish we lived in the same area!

Pink Dandelion (PD?) - I will surely knit for your organization (I'll be adding your buttons as soon as I figure that out).
And I am glad you are on the sock path too!

KBlicious said...

we'll see about the class thing. it seems like a running joke now, every time i try something new, one of the local knitster girls says, "Time for a seminar with Sean!" already we have a clog seminar planned, i guess socks will be next. ;) i haven't even gotten to the heel yet, though, i'm just doing easy stuff now! there is still time for it to go down the toilet.

Anonymous said...

If you'd like to 'officially join' the knit-along, and have access to post on the weblog, you're more than welcome to. Of course you don't have to join at all to knit for us, but The link to register is in the sidebar on the weblog - www.lucybug.org/blog .

Unless of course you've already joined and i just didn't recognize your name... now that would be embarassing...