Thursday, November 01, 2007

My 1st Cable

It is very exciting here today - My first cable EVER was taken off the needles today! yay!
I know that no one will be as enthused as I. I don't know why I never tried cables, I guess I thought they would be a pain. But they are not, they are quite fun to do!!

My first cable project was out of Barbara Walker's Learn-to-knit Afghan Book. It is a good book that walks you through various types of knitting and eventually (after 63 squares) you sew them all up and Viola! A new Afghan.

63 squares though. That is a lot of squares. So I decided when I bought the book I'd do a square here and there and then I'd have something cool. I have not been doing enough squares though - three a year... well in 21 years I'll have a blanket. Hmmm. I really need to step up production.

I've decided that I'm just not going to get everyone a knitted present this year. I think maybe I'll just start knitting for next year and give up on this year's projects. I'm overwhelmed. Hopefully I'll at least finish a pair of socks for mom.

But what is all this depressing talk? On to the cable pictures!!
Since I didn't block these (i'm waiting to get all the squares done so I block them all to the same size) I needed a little help from my two favorite vases to hold the square. One of these vases has been shunned by its creator, so I can't tell you who made it. They told me I'd better never admit who created it. I think they are both great though. The other vase was made by Susan.



Oh and here, I took a close up without flash to show the depth of the cables. but it turned out yellow as my pictures do with this camera with low light. So I turned it Black and White. the thing about cables is they look so much cooler in person. Maybe that is why I was never motivated to make cables... it just didn't look so fantastic. But in person - whew. They look awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the cables! I remember my first time. It is so exciting to be able to create cables!!

Susan said...

cables rock! you're making me want to pick up my knitting needles again! I made a sweater years ago with one cable going down the side - I thought I was SO original making it off-center! it was pretty fun tho. I just added that afghan book to my wishlist on Amazon - thanks for mentioning it again - I kept forgetting to save the title - happy almost Friday!