Sunday, July 06, 2008

Happy 4th!

Well today is the 6th - so, as usual I am late!

We had a rather rainy 4th (and 5th and 6th) so really we didn't have much of a chance to do anything outside. Have I mentioned that Virginia is the new Florida? I can't remember the last weekend where it was sunny both days, and we have a thunderstorm almost every day at 5pm (always when I'm commuting home, it seems to wait when I work late).

We went to the National Air and Space Museum's new annex the Udvar-Hazy Museum on the 4th of July. I don't have any pictures because I forgot the memory card to the camera. D'oh! There is a lot of planes, plane engines, and the space shuttle and some missiles and things. It's a pretty new museum and they are still bringing in new things. It was nice to walk around, dry, inside.

One conversation we overheard was kinda funny, this little girl asked her dad what bombs were. His reply was "well they're kinda like big fireworks that the planes drop on bad people to hurt them". I guess Fourth of July was on this guy's mind.

Kristina of Yarnsticks just finished a 5-K race, and it is really making me wish I had stuck with my idea of starting to run. I had to stop and just walk for a while because I had injured myself and then I just kept walking (walking is very good for you, so I don't feel like I was totally a slacker!!).

Anyway it is time to get on the ball. I have found a couple of 5-K's in September and am trying to convince my Hubby to join me for one. Well at least join me for the end anyway... since he is super fast. He's so fast the one time in Auburn he did a 5-K for the Mutt Strut (a 5-k race that benefited the local animal shelter). The race started while he was in the port-a-potties (which were not really near the start line)... he came out, started running, ran the race and CAME IN THIRD.

He's so fast that one day we were talking and I asked him what his slow pace was, and he said "9" and I thought he meant 9 minute miles... so I had this image of us running together someday with him on a slow day and me on a super-fast day... but the bubble burst when I realized he meant "9" on the treadmill... which happens to be a 6:40 mile.

So really we'll just be attending the same race. Hahaha. It'll look a lot different in the slow category, I'm sure.

Anyway - a race in September is a good idea. I'm trying to think of ways to keep myself motivated for working out while Harland is in Iraq. He's my exercise cheerleader right now, and I'm super afraid of him leaving and me getting sad and sitting on a couch for 12 months. If I get back into running, at least I can find a few races to keep getting excited about.

Anyway - we'll see how it goes, I have a plan for this week all set up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that getting into racing would be a great way to avoid sitting on the sofa and moping. :)

Kristin L. said...

Good luck with starting to run. I am not much of a runner myself and was really nervous that I would put on a ton of weight when my husband and I separated, but I started swimming more and have lost almost 50 pounds in the last 7 months. Your situation is TOTALLY different since your husband is coming back :) but having a plan in place to help with the inevitable loneliness is a great idea. I was afraid I would sit around and eat. Plus, as you lose more weight, you could always send him pics, right? Fun... :) And getting in better shape has been fun for me. I love having new goals to reach and have been kind of obsessive about it. Maybe I'm just weird. That could definitely be it too. :) This comment is way too long. I'm too chatty today!

Anonymous said...

The Husband and I are the same. He runs super fast and I run like molasses on a very cold, winter day. So we go together, kiss before we get into line, and then when I hit about the halfway point I start cursing him in my head because I know he's done and I still have a ways to go.

From someone who was awful at running (and really doesn't like it that much) you can totally do it for September. Just do what you can and try to push a little more or add another block of running each day. Good luck!