Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Holiday Wish from you...

Hi Everyone...
To me life is always interesting in the interconnectedness of things. It amazes me when somehow things just seem to converge and really join to show you something striking. Most of you know that I have volunteered for the American Red Cross and I am happy to say I have taken steps to join the here again in the DC area, and as of last week am an official volunteer again!**

And so I'm asking all my friends and family to do something for me for this Holiday Season. I don't care if you send me a card or buy me a gift. Instead I hope you'll do me a favor. Please take a few minutes and become prepared. If anything the recent tragic story of James Kim and his family has highlighted this for me.

1. Please take a minute to check the batteries in your smoke detector, your flashlight, and your radio if you have one.

2. Check the tire pressure in your spare tire of your car. (and your car tires too if you haven't done that recently!!)

3. Create a disaster kit for your home, and a small version for your car.
When going on long road trips, take your kit with you!
Have 3 days of food and water on hand for each person in your household. Keep some extra warm clothes in your car!

It's a little dorky, and kinda a pain to assemble... but please take the time to do so.
If you need some help getting started, here is a nice little list.Kit Suggestions

So please - I know you're all busy with the upcoming holidays - but take a few minutes for yourself too. 'Cause you know I love you.

**[As back story, if you didn't know, I first volunteered for the Red Cross in Auburn during Hurricane Katrina, and then I spent a lot of my time in Korea volunteering as well. I know the Red Cross isn't a perfect organization - but it is amazing to me how many lives they touch -> from blood services, to disasters, to house fires, to helping Sr. Citizens get groceries and go to the doctor, to helping American Soldiers... if you are looking for an organization to donate to, check out your local Red Cross Chapter and help your neighbors!]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i suck at doing such things, but i think your sentiment is beautiful and i promise i will try to do at least some of the stuff. i'm glad you're enjoying volunteering again and it's a wonderful thing you're doing!!!! heart you!!! xoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

http://soapfibergal.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

haha. can you delete my last comment? it was supposed to say this: I tagged you for the six weird things meme. "THE RULES: Each player of this game starts with the "6 weird things about you." People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly.In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says "you are tagged" in their comments and tell them to read your blog." :) Hope you don't mind.