Sunday, April 29, 2007

Prince William Forest Park

okay so finally the weather was decent enough to go out and play. We went to Prince William Forest Park (Click here for their site!) and it is a really nice small park fairly close to us. They have group campgrounds, regular campsites, cabins and back country camping. We opted for the later. It was so nice... although it did rain (hey, we got to try out our rain fly!), it did get cold (in the low 40's (my feet were not happy while trying to sleep) and it did get quite breezy at one point. Which was okay - it tried out our stake tying skills. Everything went smooth.

I would have slept better if it hadn't been so cold and it there hadn't been a crazy owl hooting all night. The first time he did it, I almost jumped out of my skin - he was very close by at that point. Luckily later he flew farther away and we got some shut eye.

So I know you want to see pictures. Here are some!

First here are some scenes we saw in the main part of the park:
1. Beaver evidence. Sorry it is blurry.


2. Dogwoods were out in full force, it really was beautiful everywhere in the park! Plus lots of violets, and other tiny wildflowers. All the trees were bright spirng green with new leaves... the park has a lot of beech trees.


3. Here is a picture of our little campsite!


4. Here is a picture of the sun peaking out just as it was setting - there were a few showers beforehand (thank goodness we started setting up camp early!) and even a few pretty strong showers later in the night.

5. Luckily this is the scene from inside the tent this morning - clear as a bell and the sun was out. I like the way the shadows of the trees looked against the tent. Unfortunately, we'll have to rinse off our tent in the tub and hang it out on our porch today to dry it out.

Which leads me to the question - if you are supposed to let your tent dry out before stuffing it away - what do the through hikers do in the rain? They can't possibly be stalled every time it rains. Hmmm. Not that I'll be hiking 14 miles a day anytime soon.... but I am curious.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You went camping and it looks beautiful!

Shelley, Kiki & I went to the beach - our version of outdoor fun but now we are sunburned. Boooo!

KBlicious said...

glad you had such a wonderful time in BEAUTIFUL nature! lovely shots!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks like fun! I wish my husband wanted to camp. I am looking forward to camping with the kids, as they older.

Susan said...

wow incredibly fun and beautiful!! now my jealousy has hit a whole new level... :)

Susan said...

tks for all your comments! - I'm glad your funk has abated - you'll have to tell me your secret! altho my funk is not as bad as it has been in the past and about 50% of it will end with finals :) the rest of it has to do with little things like: wtf am I doing with my life? you know, trivialities :) nyernt nyernt

Kristin said...

I just made plans to go camping with friends today! I can't wait to go...although we are bringing our almost 4 year old. I hope he likes it as much as my husband and I do!!