First we hiked to the old Pyrite Mine. They used to mine pyrite for sulfuric acid. And here I thought it was only used to trick people into thinking you had gold. :) The mine area was being worked on this weekend - they are planting trees to encourage the growth of a hard wood forest. 70 some years later and the water and land here is still polluted from the mine. If you look on the hillside you can see volunteers planting.

Then we hiked down to the falls of the Quantico Creek. They are about 2 feet high at the most. Still it was a very nice day for a hike (cool and breezy) and although the hike back up was rough on poor little out of shape me, it was all worth it. Here is a picture of the falls. Lovely, no?

The if you look closely in the second photo, you can see some laurel. I took a close-up shot on the side we hiked down. (editor's note, I have no idea why but this picture disappeared).
I also took a picture of us. Don't we look happy to be out and about?

And when we were resting a bit on the rocks, we noticed a little still pool in between some rocks! And there were little polliwogs! Maybe tadpoles? It's funny - you can see the clouds reflected in the pool. That why it looks kinda odd.

So the deal with the Park is there is a backcountry area. You have to file for a permit (permit's free) and then get a key and go over to a section of the park that is next to the Quantico Base. But I guess the Marines cut the locks and replace them to keep the National Park Service on their toes. And so we (and two other sets of people) had keys but they didn't work. And there is nothing the NPS could do - so we had to hike to the start of the trail. It probably added something less than a mile (and it was all downhill on the way in) but I was already tired. But Harland encouraged me and so we hiked in and camped. Carrying all the stuff... well... let's just say that my pack has made me very aware of certain muscles. I'm on the wrong side of sore.
It was a very peaceful night - no thunderstorm like they predicted (yay!) and I am fairly well rested. The birds were quite chirpy this morning, including a very close-by and rather loud cardinal. We also saw a deer grazing on the hike in last evening.
I'll start posting reviews of our gear this week, hopefully starting tomorrow. I wish I had some action shots... but I forgot to take the camera out of the day pack when the whole key thing got me flustered. We might go **somewhere** next weekend hiking, but I dunno where yet.


6 comments:
I'm so glad you guys got to go after all! Such beauteous pix! and that one of you guys is my new fave I think :)... the quilt project I'm about to dig in on is actually for you guys - it will almost certainly be done by your bday but if something goes haywire then by the end of the summer at the very latest - anyway if I put links to posts of its progress, how well will you be able to resist going and looking? I'll wait til it's all done if you think you can't trust yourself. Fairly fun post today re: Sammershenanigans if you want to look. :) Thanks in advance for the package - crazy mailman has yet to bring it but I've been eagerly checking... exhausted... more coffee... loveloveloveS
I should send you the picture then. It is much better than the sunburnt Hawaii one you have of us.
Hiking... camping...
Oh! It looks like so much fun. I am looking forward to doing that someday with my kids. It looks like so much fun!
Love the picture of you and Harland!
Glad I got to see the pics and chat with you yesterday! You are the two cutest hikers I've ever seen. I especially like the pigtails. I NEVER looked good in them but you can totally rock them!
The picture of you two is so cute! Looks like a fun time. We are aiming for Memorial Day weekend for our first camping trip this season.
omg that postcard thing is cracking me up - I remember distinctly - I put it in the stack of other pc's I had just written and never went back to it and just mailed the whole stack - that is so funny!!!!!! I guess I was right about getting distracted! the package came today - you rock! I love the washcloths and Jane best of course :) very very fun - the french books are great too tho - not to say I didn't like them !! :) one of them is one we studied in grad school - more soon as I have a snail thank you in the works too loveloveloveS
Post a Comment