It rained a little on the way there, and so the views were quite foggy/smoggy/hazy. Here is a picture at one of the overlooks.

We walked part of the Appalachian Trail (the AT for short) and then hiked up to a "day shelter" called Byrd's Nest 4. When we got there - there was quite a field and there were two deer. The shelter was occupied by a bunch of Carpenter Bees, so we turned around.

Along the way to the Byrd's Nest #4, we saw some pink lady's slippers.

It was a nice little hike, there was also a mystery bush that the bees love and it was very pretty but I have no idea what it is. I consulted my Newcomb's Wildflower guide, as well as my instant wildflowers and my Peterson First guide to wild flowers I had when I was a kid, but to no avail. Does anyone know what this bush is??

Here are some more pictures of us at the overlook.


And then while driving on the way out, we saw a mama bear and a baby bear (who was clinging to a tree). I tried to get a picture as we drove by but it was unsuccessful. There were a bunch of idiots out of their cars blocking the area and taking pictures (hello, BABY BEAR AND MAMA BEAR - NOT SAFE!!). Unfortunately, I totally got a terrible picture. See that dark blur behind the tree in the middle? That's mama.

Haha. Oh well at least I got to see it, Poor Harland and Teresa in the front didn't get to see the baby bear hanging.


5 comments:
omg, what gorgeous pictures!!!! isn't lady slipper endangered? i think i remember hearing that... the other bush, some kind of trumpet/nightshade? i'm clueless. you've been tagged too. :) xoxoxoxoxo
your comment was a riot - altho I can't remember the orange zest/juice story :) -- I can't wait for your letter and its plot :) as for confessions I have only just barely begun your quilt so it's all good - we rock and we are friends and we make fun stuff for each other and sometimes our stuff is not necessarily timely but we still rock :) I'm about to tutor as soon as the michelin guy gets here so lovelovelove and bai!
I completely forgot to say how great it is you had some extra time this weekend and had fun with Teresa -- your pix are fantastic as usual -- woo hoo! It's good _someone_ is getting to go hiking and camping!... this of course is another thing you guys will have to provide for me of course when I come to live in your mother-in-law room ;)
please mentally edit out my redundant "of course" in that last.
I think it was the orange zest part that threw me -- you mean the cranberries and how fun they always looked and I'd always let Mom talk me into eating them again each year til I finally was old enough to see thru her evil ploy... :)
Post a Comment