Monday, November 05, 2007

Apple Pie and Other Achievements

Okay - so as a few of you know... Before last night I had made 2 apple pies in my life. And both were absolute disasters. I mean, if you could think of anything that would make an apple pie inedible - that was what was wrong with my pies. They were somehow extremely watery (even when I added to one pie a 1/2 cup of flour). And the crusts would burn in one spot and be gooey in another. I mean the worst pies EVER. It was especially terrible because apple pie is my husband's favorite desert. And these pies were made during our courtship. I was worried he wouldn't marry a gal who couldn't make an apple pie that was at least edible. But mine came out embarrassingly bad. So I went on strike. Whenever anyone says "why, that's easy as pie" I secretly got mad! I haven't made an apple pie in over 3 years. And I certainly never made my own crust.

But for whatever reason last night I got a bee in my bonnet to make a pie with apples fresh from my parents orchard (alright, backyard). And since I was too lazy to drive to the store to get crust, I made my own.

And it somehow actually worked! I made a really good apple pie! With homemade crust! And it turned out the correct consistency! Not only can one eat it, One can actually ENJOY it. Hooray, I now have the opportunity to become the perfect wife!


(of course I used the apple pie and the pie crust recipe from my favorite cookbook ever - except I used butter instead of shortening because that is what we had, but I know why those pastry chefs get those doodad that you can cut the butter into the flour, because it took forever with two forks).

Also - got my bloodwork back today and I do not have any dangerous diseases like leukemia or bone marrow diseases or anything. They do not know why my platelets are too high, but they are not high enough to cause problems yet, and my platelets are normally shaped, so I just have to get checked up in a year. Yay!

Also I spent some time this evening watching various clips of human tetris on google. OMG, we need a TV show like this here in the States. It total cracks me up. In case you haven't seen it, I'm enclosing it below.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay for the great looking pie! Apple pie is my favorite too and that one is a beauty! :)

I'm glad to hear that your bloodwork came back normal. :)

Susan said...

yumMY!!!!! dang girl! you are rockin!!!! Guess I better get back in pie mode, too - thanks for inspiring me - you are right about our beloved BHG cookbook pie/crust recipe - it is the greatest - seriously that is the crust I always use and it never goes wrong plus I love the yummy simplicity of their apple pie recipe... you definitely need a pastry cutter - it makes it 400 gazillion times easier, PLUS I use mine for cutting hard boiled eggs for egg salad as well as for cutting up avocadoes - it rocks!! (plus I think it is happy to be allowed to other things than just pie crust :) -- OK I definitely have to do a pie this weekend dangit!! :)

Anonymous said...

looks yummy!! congratulations!