Right now I'm making some soup and doing some laundry. The soup was inspired by Susan's Christmas present to me, which was the book Julie and Julia and the book Volume 2 of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I don't have volume one, but a gift certificate I received from my sister-in-law will soon remedy that. I am however cooking leek and potato soup from the 1st volume that I found online over here (in case you want to whip some up too). I'll tell you how it comes out tomorrow. I'm cooking it in the pot Harland got me for Christmas (a Le Creuset! Made in France - how appropriate!). I peeled the potatoes (and one fingernail, whoops) with a new peeler my parents got me and am stirring it with some new bamboo spoons... So really this is some serious Christmas present soup. If only I had gotten leeks and potatoes in my stocking! Just kidding! Leeks will smell up a place in about 30 seconds, so they're not good for surprising people. :)
Anyway, we had a great Christmas together and it was amazing to wake up to see Harland. At first I'd forget he was there and I'd wake up so happy to see him. Like Christmas morning every morning for 10 days, really.

We viewed some wildlife on my parent's back porch...


We also had some side trips...
We went to Longwood Gardens (more pictures later this week).

We went to Valley Forge (more pictures later this week).

We also went to Ohio to visit Harland's parents and I learned how to make dumplings (more on that later this week).

So it was a great week and a half. I couldn't really ask for anything more!
Well, maybe for Harland to come home instead of being away, but I can't expect that. :)


2 comments:
I'm SO mad!! I checked and doublechecked and the stupid book order entry didn't give a volume number!! I was hoping it was both volumes in one or something since it didn't mention it - I would much rather have given you volume One if there was only one volume. I'm really sorry :(
Oh no! Don't be mad! I'm happy to have volume 2! I would have gotten it anyway if you had given me volume 1. I'm pretty sure I'm not going attempt some of the recipes - but she has some awesome soup, bread, and chicken recipes I'll probably try sometime.
Once I can tear myself away from the potato leek soup!
Post a Comment