Well I have been knitting on the secret project but it is slow going. Hopefully this week I will make great progress so I can mail it away and actually post pictures once the giftee gets it.
Today H. and I went shopping to kill some time. We browsed around and really got some savings. We bought a DVD holder that is nice and folds up and is wodden and holds a bunch of DVDs for FREE. Really, it was 20 bucs at FYE and then you mail in the rebate and it is free! Then we went to Dick's Sporting Goods so H. could get some shorts for running and he got two pairs for 15 bucks each and I bought this beautiful 100% wool sweater for 11 bucks. And it is gloriously heavy! Yay Labor day sales! We spent 61 bucks for a ton of stuff - and 20 bucks will be coming back to us! Pretty good day.
H. and I are going to be getting into day backpacking and I am excited about all the cool areas around here to hike in. Eventually we'd like to get into multi day backpacking (camping in the rough) but we don't have the $$ to get a nice tent and all the stuff we'd need to schlock around with us. Maybe in spring or next fall. That will be fun because we can hike then set up camp then I can knit until I fall asleep. I think I'll have room to carry around a wee sock in my backpack. Certainly nothing heavy.
Anyway - I think he misses all the trips "to the field" from the Army. And you all know I love the woods so that is perfectly fine with me. Since we decided this was to be our new hobby I got a few books out of the library yesterday that will help us find cool places around here. We also got a few ideas from the REI store. I have a feeling we will be shopping there alot in the next year. It is such a great store and everyone really knows their stuff there.
So anyway, any websites, anecdotes, advice, old gear, etc. that you know of about backpacking around here would be welcomed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
You are so lucky that your husband wants to camp! Mine says the closest he will get to camping is the back yard :( I plan to take the kids myself when they are older. I am sure he will feel left out and join us anyway.
Haha, that is a good plan. Especially after the kids come home after the first time and say "Dad! Dad! You should've been there!"
uh oh - you are really giving me backpacking nostalgia!! if you guys do the Appalachia Trail sometime I get dibs on accompanying you.
I may have to make good on my idea of trying to contact the hiking club again here... not sure why that idea fizzled out way back when...
Post a Comment