Saturday, February 03, 2007

Help Is needed

There are several things to report here...
1. Bought some yarn from Supercrafty and it came in two days - all the way from CA! If you haven't read about her and her dear son on CrazyAuntPurl's blog or on KB's blog, you can read about her here.
and her store has lots of awesome yarn and notions. You should check it out.


2.I started the afghan as I said in an earlier post - and this is my first square. I decided that the green was just a no-go. There needed to be a better contrast.

3. However I realized really soon that I am not so good at the weaving in of ends. People have tried to explain to me how you can knit the ends in as you go - and I just can't get my head around it. Any advice?? Because I don't want an afghan that looks great... until you pull it over your head and you see the world through this:

4. I think I know what I want to make Susan for Christmas next year. But I can't buy the yarn for it yet. Not that it is expensive or hard to get or anything. But I know if I make it, I'll immediately want to give it to her. I have no giving willpower when it comes to Susan or Harland.

2 comments:

Susan said...

tee hee - I'm having a similar quandary over a wee project in my own head! NYERNT NYERNT :) as for knitting in the ends - I've only had to do it occasionally on sweaters and scarves, not row after row - anyway I think I used to just overlap the new color for a few inches with the old, so in effect you're knitting with double strands for a few inches... after the next few stitches you simply run out of the old and are only knitting with the one strand of new again. when you overlap them they look like this kinda:
_______________________
________________________X

(if this works when I publish that is - if not I'll draw it on a postcard) the "X" is where you're knitting with the old yarn - it's the edge of your knitted fabric - can you see the overlap approaching you? of course the strands will be touching each other tho... so you'll knit with two strands for a few inches/stitches and then the original will run out and you're only knitting with the new... at least that's how I do it - they're right that it's much easier than weaving in the ends all the time, esp. for something that has lots of yarn changes... :)

Susan said...

it didn't work - the ends should be staggered :) I should have known... I think I can html it on my blog... if it works I'll give a holler, if it doesn't I really will resort to low-tech postcard graphics! :)