Sunday, March 18, 2007

what's cooking

Well, no knitting was done.
And no real exercise either - unless you count cleaning the bedroom. We never really unpacked some boxes in the bedroom and put up any pictures... so while H. was out on Saturday I cleaned, unpacked, and decorated. It looks sooo much better and just having one of our two rooms without clutter makes me sooo happy I can't even explain it.

And also I cooked a lot this weekend. I made a deal with H. that we should eat vegetarian this week at home. Actually I am hoping to continue this trend because we have not been eating a lot of veggies. He's a meat and starch kinda guy so I had to find some recipes to slowly break him in.

First up?
Tofu Pot pie. I got it from my favorite vegetarian cookbook, The Compassionate Cook (if you want/need one vegetarian cookbook in your house I suggest this one.) It has all the basic recipes you could want and it is completely vegan (which doesn't mean you couldn't add cheese with the recipes in there). Anyway... the pot pie the best thing I have cooked all year, I think. It was remarkably tasty.

Today I was a little more creative.
We had leftover bread that was getting quite stale that I baked last weekend. So what can you do with stale bread? Make some bread pudding, of course!

And then finally I made some spaghetti sauce.

To make some broccoli/spinach lasagna.
Yum! It was really easy to make and I even used a bread loaf pan to make a small one to put in the freezer for one of those, "what shall we make?" kind of nights.


I kinda made up the recipe as I went along as a combination of several recipes I had here - but I'll post it for you soon.
Hope your weekend was lovely too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy! I will have to check out that cookbook. I am always looking for good vegetarian recipes. My husband also is a meat and potatoes guy, but I prefer to eat vegetarian.

Kristin said...

Mmmmm...you're making me hungry. My husband eats lettuce and cucumbers. Consider yourself lucky that yours isn't that bad! :)

Susan said...

holy shit! you're putting my own kitchen shenanigans to shame, at least lately - I did make a pie for the party at Brig's saturday night but it was not my best... the tofu pot pie sounds delish! it reminded me I've been planning to make another chicken pot pie sometime before it gets too hot to use my oven... yay you!!!!! (and yay Harland who gets to enjoy all that stuff!)

KBlicious said...

OMG everything looks so delicious!!!!! what's with this no knitting thing, don't make me come up there! ;) xoxoxoxoxox