Monday, September 17, 2007

Day 4

Here we go - some snapshots from day 4. We didn't really have a plan for day 4, we just wandered around because it was the last day in Amsterdam.
Here is me in front of a clock tower. For somereason this is the the only picture of me we took. Well besides a silly picture at the North Sea of half my face that I took.


How to look like you are Dutch (people always spoke Dutch to me when Harland isn't around, he was a dead giveaway I was American. But it is very simple - first have light brown hair. second - wear the color orange. That's it).

We went to a yarn store on Day 4. I didn't take a picture of the store (whoops). The woman who rant he store was very nice. They only sold one brand of Yarn - Regina. So that is interesting - I thought I would see a lot of different brands. There was a sweet hairy dog in a basket just inside. I asked if the orange yarn I had would need 3 skeins to make mittens and the woman didn't understand the word for mittens so for some reason we started talking German and we figured it out. Turns out she spoke better German. Which is odd, since most people in the Netherlands speak English. But maybe the German translates better to Dutch for knitting terms or something. Anyway it was fun to pull out my rusty German.

We walked all the way out of the town of Amsterdam to see the last windmill of the area. I'm glad I didn't tell Harland you can't go in it... I'm not sure he would have walked all the way there if he had known. One of the funny things is that it POURED, just absolutely poured cold cold rain and had a the darkest of clouds when we were about 3 blocks away. But after we waited it out under a tree (between the tree and our raincoats it wasn't so bad) we walked the rest of the way there and facing this direction it made a beautiful picture. If one turned the other way it would look like crazy rain was coming.



Here are some pretty buildings:



Here is a Herring stand. Herring is a popular lunch and snack you pick it up byt the tail end let it dangle over your mouth and take bites, eating up!


Here is a fun Houseboat with Grass for a roof!


There is this beautiful old church in the Red Light District:

And here is a picture of the Erotic Museum (but I hear it is silly and lame, so we didn't go).

As everyone knows - the red light district is where the prostitutes are, we went on a weeknight after tourist season, but still there were plenty to choose from if that is what you wanted to do. It was surprising people were walking around there even with their kids! It is kinda weird - just these windows with red lights everywhere.

And just to leave you on a better note, here is a beautiful night time picture of a canal.

2 comments:

KBlicious said...

KG!!! if you haven't figured already, i am insanely behind on EVERYTHING once again, but I am so enjoying these pictures!!!! It sounds like you had a marvelous trip, and I'd love to hear more about it!!! I am sorry to say I am insanely grossed out by the herring thing... ech! Hope you are well!!! Miss you bushels!!!!!

Susan said...

well I have lots of orange but my hair is kinda dark - I guess if I wait for more and more grey I will look Dutch :)