One reason is you can look at an old stone bridge.

You can look at some rolling hills and fields (they mowed down the grasses for hay a few weeks ago, but I imagine it will spring back up once more before fall).


You can walk in the woods.

And you can see some cool bugs.
I'm not sure what this is, the wings were different than most dragonflies I have seen. They were black - not clear.

I'm not sure what kind of spider this one is, but he was huge. My thought process went "oh look a baby toad, oh wait no, that is a tarantula!" It was about 2 inches or 3 inches in diameter. It was H-U-G-E. Neither Harland nor I have ever seen such a spider.

I have been trying to find out what is it online, but the closest I can come up with is maybe a bark crab spider? But the pictures don't quite look like it. Anyone know what this monster is? It was okay to see it outside, in the woods, but if this creepy crawly was anywhere near my house I'd be freaking out. This was the biggest, ugliest spider I have ever ever seen.
What is interesting is I was not nearly as creeped out taking the pictures of him as I am now looking at him. Those bumps! eww! Gross!


2 comments:
I'm finally catching up with you all and your hiking!! That's the only thing I am religiously still making time for even with school and being so behind on emails (aheM!) and blog/read/ing... if and when things slow enough I'm going to put a running list of hikes in the sidebar of my blog so keep an eye out - it'll probably happen around Christmas.. just kidding - things BETTER get calmer before then or I'll self-destruct! anyway yay on your walkies!!!!!! fantastic pix as usual - I need to get a decent camera...
That spider is definitely a type of wolf spider. The bumps are babies.
Post a Comment