Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thanksgiving - the non-traditional way

So most people go home for Thanksgiving and eat some turkey with all the fixin's. But we bucked tradition this year "thanks" to the Army (who might not be allowing Harland to see me again before he leaves the states, we learned today. Which is a whole other story).

Anyway, I drove down to Ft. Jackson (well actually to Camp McCrady) and picked Harland up and we traveled to Columbia.

This was the view from our hotel room.


We had an okay time, Thanksgiving dinner was taken at the local Chinese Buffet. It had a roasted turkey on there, so at least i got a slice of turkey (if not my beloved mashed potatoes and stuffing). And really it didn't matter where we were - I was very thankful for the time we spent together.

I think Harland was thankful for the pie that I made and brought with me.


We also went to Congaree National Park on Friday, continuing my family's tradition of hiking on Black Friday. We did a really nice 6.6 mile loop. I'll share those photos with you tomorrow.

But I want to say that I don't ever want to drive anywhere on the Sunday after Thanksgiving ever ever again. Here is one snapshot of some fog I went though... Luckily it was only foggy for about 1 mile out of the hundreds I traveled. But it was the beginning of about 200 miles of crazy bad traffic. I was ready to scream.

2 comments:

Susan said...

holy cow scary traffic! Too funny you guys went to Congaree - I had put that on the tentative list for us for whenever you come visit. Just as well since it's so far south - glad you go to see it. Funny too that both of you had good comments about Columbia. My students from there do nothing but complain about it. It's different visiting a place and growing up there tho of course. Your pie looks so fun!!! like impact circles on water or something :)

Unknown said...

Hi, I am Matt Huffman, your husband and I met at Camp McCrady (my wife is Laura) Harland let me have a slice of your pie. The pie was great and the fresh cherries were awesome. I just wanted to say thanks.