
I got a little carried away with the macro lens today... Above is a picture of the first 5 rows of my new lace project. Yeah, I know... it isn't even lace yet - it is just plain garter stitch.

One thing I hate doing is making balls out of lace weight yarn. Someday I will have a ball winder. I swear that will be my next big knitting gadget purchase. Of course even the cheap ones are like 30 bucks... but I am sure it will be worth the money. Hanks are beautiful when all twisted up when you buy them. But not so beautiful when they get so tangled while you are balling your yarn, you haver to cut the yarn like I did today. (bah!)

So while Harland was on the computer, I decided to pick out which yarn to use for this project. I decided on Knitpick's Shadow in the color vineyard. I was thinking at the time of purchase that I would make something for Amy with it... but it isn't as purple as most of her purples. Then I decided a branching out scarf for my Mother-in-Law Wendy would be good. So that is what I am making - this scarf for her for Christmas.
So I suppose I am on my way. I haven't decided if I will try and do any lace work today or not. The official rules for the Amazing Lace say you can start anytime... so that is what I will do! I'll let you know what I do on monday.


5 comments:
omg, i need a macro lens! I'm so excited you got started! that color is gorgeous!!!! i'm really looking forward to seeing our progress! while you aspire for a ball winder, i clearly need a new camera! gauge swatch #1 wound up being short both row and stitch, so i'm bumping up to 9s and trying again. kisses!
Look at you - using gauge and everything! Clearly a powerful knitter. Me? I chose a pattern that requires no guage!!
Today I am working on finishing that orange sock! Tomorrow and beyond- LACE.
my gauge swatch can beat up your macro lens.
as lovely and shiny as my Addis are, I may very well be switching to my Denises. I'm finding the k2tog tbl to be a little fiddly with the Addis and might just give the Denises a go to see if the tip works better.
can i just tell you that my partner and i have completed *11* whole rows already (border and 1 whole lace repeat) and a) I am astonished at how much I love this pattern and b) as if I wasn't geeked out enough, I am SOOOOO freakin excited to see how this turns out. It's really looking neat.
I was so excited to see that you are making this scarf! (What is it they say about great minds?) I can't wait to see it in the Shadow. I bought a skein of Shadow (different color) and want to use it for a Christmas scarf (I am making lace scarves for all the females in my immediate family for Christmas). Good Luck.
I too aspire to get a ball winder someday. I haven't bought enough yarn still in a hank to justify getting it. I decided as I spin more (drop spindle) I will get one. Good luck on the lace. I've just started my first lace project and it definitely takes more brain power than usual.
Post a Comment