Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Susan Bag

Well, I decided to make my dearest friend Susan a bag for her birthday. I wanted it to be pretty special - so I decided I wanted a felted bag. So I bought some nice Paton's classic merino and started knitting. Now I admit when I started this in January I had no idea what I was doing. I had met my KB but he wasn't my knitting boyfriend yet... and I wasn't as savy at finding information on the web.

So I decided to make up my own thing, and I thought I would share the pattern so y'all could either make something like it - or improve on the design.

Here is the beginning. I used size 11 needles, and cast on 42 stitches.
I knitted (in stockingette) 20 red Rows, 8 green rows and 34 orange rows. No there is no scientific reasoning behind these numbers. They just looked good.


Then I continued by making 10 garter rows (continuing in orange) then switched back to stockingette and knitted the same as before but in reverse- 34 more orange, 8 green and 20 red. Then I bound it off.

The next part was tricky... I neede to pickup stitches and I had no idea how to do that... so I enlisted the help of knittinghelp.com which has a great video. I picked up 8 stiches from the garter stitch section and knitted (in stockingette) until it reached the top of the bag. I really should have counted the rows, but I didn't. Probably 62 rows would work out well. Then I did the same for the other side.



For the handle I took 8 stitches (so it would match the sides in width) and knitted for an hour until the strap was sufficient length (I personally hate short straps and like to cross my strap over my chest if possible).



And then the part i did badly... you need to sew the sides up so that everything is attached well (but not too well or it will felt wonky). Unfortunatly one side was not sewn as well as it should be and this is the bad part of the Susan's bag. I have learned my lesson and so hopefully the next bag she gets from me will not have any major flaws. (sorry Susan!). It was made with much love, though and so I hope it passes just for that. There is something really nice about making something for someone, you get to think about them the whole time.

Felting had to happen. So I tucked the strap into the bag and ran it through two hot water agitating sessions in the washer. I washed in in a pillowcase with the top of the case folded over and pinned so the fuzzies didn't escape. The felting came out nice. Here it is drying. I must say that I am amazed at how long it took to dry. I figured a day would do it - but it took three... and I had really squeezed it between two dry towels like they say... so that is why I was so amazed!



And so there it is! I am not sure if she likes it or if she is being polite, but it made it's way to Alabama (only a little late). Hip Hip Hooray for the Susan Bag!

4 comments:

KBlicious said...

dude, omg! i am so glad i got to finally see this! i had no idea you used your own pattern for that bag!!!! as a new knitter no less! you did an awesome job! love the colors, they are flower power esque! ;)

Jessica said...

Oh yay! I am glad you like it. I hope Susan likes it, I tried to make it big enough for her journal and a folder or two - but not too big.

Yeah, I was rockin' the green, orange, red colorways before I even heard of knitpicks!

Kristina (Yarnsticks) said...

That is incredible! See, now this is where you boggle MY mind! I am horrible with coming up with color combination ideas. I'd rather copy what someone else did. And the bag concept itself... wow!

Anonymous said...

Amazing bag!! I love it! The colors are awesome too! Great Job :-D