Sunday, January 27, 2008

Recipes inside

I know, I know.
Not much of a poster lately.

Not much is new - right now my eyes are stinging from an onion I cut up earlier to throw into my dinner. I heard if you throw it in the freezer for 5 minutes before you cut it, this doesn't happen. I need to try that. I never remember, though, until after the fact.

Tried three new extremely easy and rather healthy recipes this weekend.

One is an easy healthy dessert. You just take a ripe banana (not too ripe though) and cut it in half length wise. Then you heat a pan over medium heat, spray some oil on it and throw the banana in. Put some cinnamon (and some Splenda or sugar if you like). Cook it about 3 minutes, see if the bottom is turning brown, and if it has, flip it. If not wait until it does. Then do the same thing to the other side.

It's kinda like fried plantains, but with less fat.
It's super yummy.

The other recipe is just as easy. You take 2 cups of steel cut oats (you know the chewy ones - the ones that are really really healthy for you) 3.5 cups H2O and 3.5 cups milk (I used soy) and add a 16oz bag of frozen fruit (I used peaches) and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and pop it in your slow cooker. I cooked it on low for 2 hours and high for 1.5 hours and then it was done! Yummy and wholesome.

It will fill your crockpot, so when you turn it on high - make sure it doesn't bubble over. There you have a really healthy breakfast for the entire week.

The last one stems from the fact that I am (as you can tell from above) trying to eat healthier and more whole foods, less processed foods. So one thing is my yogurt is so full of sugar (or full of chemicals that fool you into thinking it is sugar, and I hear the more fake sugar you eat the more you crave sweet things - and since those are my weakness, I am trying to cut down).

Anyway - take plain yogurt, take a bag of frozen berries, and blend them together in a food processor. Yes berries have sugar, but since it is natural, maybe it is healthier. So we'll see how this goes. Eating more whole foods has been good so far, but a little more time consuming which is why I cooked my oatmeal and made my flavored yogurt on a Sunday afternoon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipes!!! I am definitely trying the oats. I need to get more steel cut, though. I can get them wicked cheap in bulk, but can't find anyone else that wants to split them with me. :(

What size crock pot did you use? I have two a HUGE one and a medium size one. (Do you like my vagueness?)

Oh. I am thinking of trying to make my own yogurt and sweetening it with fruit. I'll let you know how it comes out, if I try it.

Kristin said...

Those sound quite good! Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...

your plantain-wannabes sound yummy! I'm sorry I got rid of my slow cooker but maybe sometime I'll try the oatmeal on super low heat in my soup pot... yay you you healthy eater/cooker!