Thursday, February 01, 2007


Thirteen Things Things I hate about the Washington DC Metro

(one thing I do like is that it gets me to work!! Maybe I'll think of 12 more for next week)

1. When they only have 1 train every 10-20 minutes during rush hour.
2. When they say a train is coming in X minutes and it turns out to be one of those empty trains that don't pick up passengers - they should just not put those on the sign and get our hopes up.
3. When (for whatever reason) someone who weighs upwards of 300 pounds sits next to you while you are knitting and there are EMPTY seats where they could have TWO seats to themselves to sit in!!
4. People who don't get out of your way so you can get off the train even when you politely say "excuse me".
5. People who run down the stairs at Courthouse station in the morning on the wrong side to try and catch a train where the doors are already shutting. A) People are trying to go up the stairs, please let them go to work and B)The doors are already shutting, you aren't going to make it, folks. You're just not.
6. People who sneeze or cough without covering their nose/mouth
7. People who jump on the track to commit suicide. If you must do that, there are better and nicer ways. Think of the poor driver. Think of the passengers that will be injured.
8. The Metro buses that are on my route leak. I mean buckets. I have seen people put on their hoods, I have seen people put up umbrellas, and I have had to move several times. I think it could probably fixed with some duct tape or something.
9. Young men (and women) who don't give up their seats to seniors/disabled/people with casts/etc.
10. On a similar vein as number 8, buses that have windows that don't shut and subway cars whose doors stick open.
11. People who talk (very loudly) on their cell phone really loudly about nothing.
12. Drunk people who try to hit on people, and when unsuccessful literally move down two seats and try on the next single person. We are in a car. You are talking loudly. The next person knows you just tried the same pick-up tactic. We all do. And we all know it won't work this time either.
13. Subway drivers who don't inform you why you're stopped if you're stopped for more than 5 minutes.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Amy
2.Susan
3.Brony



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



4 comments:

Susan said...

hear hear!!! poor kid on the metro! brings back memories of my metro days in Paris and Madrid - which would sound snooty but you know me so you know I'm not :) I esp. hated those empty trains coming thru getting everyone's hopes up - that must happen all over the world! crazy!!! tks for commenting on my TT - I thought you might like that list :) you probably recognized a couple shots from the calendar, too. I've been home all day to do some final edits to the 1010 test and to set up quia for the next chapter for the 1020s and have instead been playing on blogs LITERALLY ALL AFTERNOON. Can you tell I'm tired of doing schoolwork??? I'm really lucky I only have to change literally 6 things (just headings) on the test or I'd be really quite screwed. Brings back fond memories for you I'm sure, JBB! ily! bai!

Unknown said...

I never want to ride the metro. Thanks for sharing that with us. I can understand why would be frustrated..Thanks!

BlondeBrony said...

I've never been to Washington, but it sure sounds busy.

Happy TT!

Cindy Swanson said...

Hi Jessica...I've ridden the Metro several times while visiting DC...I actually found it cleaner and nicer than Chicago and New York public transportation! Also, one time my son left a video camera on the Metro and SOMEONE ACTUALLY TURNED IT IN!!! We considered that a miracle.

Enjoyed your TT...visit mine when you get a moment!