Saturday, August 04, 2007

Roasted Chicken

Okay, so it has been too hot to go hiking, really (We have been walking at Burke Lake Park which is shaded and nearby. Our favorite hiking places require a bit of driving so by the time one would get there it would be the hot part of the day). And for whatever reason I have been taking a break from knitting for a while.

So what I have been up to? Mostly reading, relaxing, listening to music... etc. Today I took time out of that busy schedule to make a really nice dinner. We had zucchini, corn on the cob, green peas, and roasted chicken. Some people have the idea that roasting a chicken is way too hard, so today I am going to try and dispel that myth.

So there are lots of ways to roast a chicken with different contraptions. I have a vertical roaster which is basically two non-stick pieces of metal that curve into my chicken. I bought mine at Big Lots years ago for a whopping $1.99. Anyway, it holds the chicken up. Next time maybe I'll make a picture tutorial.

But, you just wash the chicken, dry it off and then slap it on the roaster. I like to put some sprigs of fresh rosemary in between the skin and the meat - just poke some holes in the skin and feed it through. Then I rub some olive oil on the chicken (like you would sunscreen!) and throw some freshly ground pepper, garlic powder and a hint of salt.

Pop it in a 375 degree oven and let it roast away! Cooking time varies upon how big the chicken is. There is a handy chart in my favorite-est cookbook ever (click here!). This is my favorite cookbook because it will tell you how to make anything you want. Honestly. I love it so much - It's got everything.

Other than that - my "porch garden" is mostly a disaster. The basil is the only thing that flourished. I just snipped a bunch to bring in and dry (that will come in handy in the winter!!)
It really makes the house smell good! Well, at least the kitchen area.

Sorry such a boring post, but for once I am glad things are dull around here, because the rest of the month will be crazy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always want to roast a chicken, but since we all eat only white meat, it seems like such a waste, don't you think?

Susan said...

BHG is the absolute greatest!!! you are making me hungry - I am going to have to do roast chicken as soon as it gets cool enough now :)