Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Vegas Day 2

Actually this title is a little misleading...
Because day 2 we drove away from Vegas to go to Grand Canyon West.

So say "Bye Bye Vegas"...


And Hello to the Desert.


Here is Lake Mead (this it the lake held back by Hoover Dam - Hoover Dam pictures will come in a few days on here, I am saving them for later). We had to go through Lake Mead National Recreation Area to see this. The website is www.nps.gov/lame ...couldn't they have come up with a better abbreviation than LAME? It is anything but. Click here to see for yourself!! My only regret is I didn't make my in-laws stop at the visitor center so I could get a stamp for my National Park Passport book. But we were anxious to get to the canyon... and on the way back it was not open.



See that white ring along the bottom of the picture? No not the line on the road, that is to designate the shoulder of the road... the one at the bottom of the lake. You may have to click on the picture to see it larger. Geez Louise. That is the amount the lake has lost. It is a lot smaller than it used to be. If you can't see the white line... you'll see it in a few days when I post the dam pictures! (by the way it is fun to say "I'm taking another dam picture!" hee hee, I am, maybe 12 years old in my sense of humor).

Then we went through a Joshua Tree forest. I am confused as to what this area is, if it is part of the Joshua Tree Forest that is part in California, or if it is part of the Mojave Desert or just a random Joshua Tree Forest. Anyone knowledgeable about this area? Susan? Anyway it is along the roads to Grand Canyon West and is even on their map (Click Here) so there.





Anyway - I spent so much time on the Joshua Tree debate that I am tired and Harland is hinting it is time to go to bed (by actually going there himself) so I only have time to show you pictures of the Dirt Road before I head to bed.



Good night! See you tomorrow for the next installment.

1 comment:

Susan said...

the western lakes are often like that - Lake Powell is the same way - so sad -- you're one up on me now, I've never been to Joshua Tree!