Thursday, September 25, 2008

Running Questions

Wow it was a nice run today, I think this was because I slacked on Tuesday and mostly walked because my legs were tired from the race. Not that I was running fast or even really pushing myself at the race, but just because there were more hills than I was used to.

It's pretty cool these mornings (today it was 50ish), and this morning was also windy, so it was a little worse than it has been, I wore long sleeves.

So I have a question for you cold weather runners (I'm looking to you - people from Vermont and Connecticut!) when do you pull out winter gear?

And what does your winter arsenal look like? And how do you know what to put on and when? Is it all trial and error?

You see the last time I took up running I lived in Florida. If it was chilly, I'd just wait until the afternoon to run.

And also - it is dark out there when I go running now (I run where there is little traffic so I don't have to worry about that)... but does anyone switch their running to lunch time? I'm concerned once my human alarm clock (aka Harland) leaves that I'll not want to get up in the dark anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could help you out. Cold weather triggers my asthma, so I tend to be a treadmill runner in the winter.

Personally, I love running in the morning in NICE weather. But in the middle of the winter? If I could run outside then, I'd definitely do it at lunch.

Plus, I am a super-paranoid freak and only like running in the dark with another person or with my dog (who sadly is too old to run, these days).

Susan said...

omg! you are a running fool! you're inspiring me to get on with it now that my ankle seems all better for sure for sure. of course now I still have to get my work under control so that I'm getting enough sleep to run during the week - the only reason the hikes are going well is I can catch up on sleep usually Friday night. gah!.... anyway I'm no longer an expert at all but I did run a LOT in the snow during college in Ohio - most of winter I still just wore shorts, but with 2 or 3 shirts and hat and mittens -- when it got the absolute coldest I ran in running tights and sometimes a windbreaker on top to keep heat in if I wasn't going to run enough to get warmed up very quickly... this is probably no help... I don't think there was a specific time when I started wearing more shirts, etc... I've hear people say there's a formula for it tho, like look at the temp and the windchill and add 20 degrees or something and dress for that temperature - I can't remember the exact number...