Monday, July 02, 2007

Birthday present to oneself

So, a friend of mine once told me that she gave herself a birthday present every year once she started working. She said it was so she was guaranteed a present that she loved. I'm pretty much guaranteed a present I love anyway, because I have great present givers surrounding me.

I mean, have you seen what Susan's making me over here? Holy freaking cow, a quilt! And in Orange even, my favorite color!! Doesn't totally freaking rock? I don't even know how to talk about it without squealing like a five year old girl at the idea of getting a Pony.

And my parents and Harland always get it right.

But just to tip the Birthday presents scale in my favor I've adopted the birthday present for oneself. I always try to make it small... last year I got a manicure and pedicure with my friend Lenka.

This year I decided to buy this sweater pattern from Knitpicks - The Vanilla Pullover
I have to say that I wasn't sure if I was going to be happy with the cotton yarn. But I LOVE it. The yarn is so incredibly soft, not like the worsted weight cotton I've been making dishcloths with - plus this DK yarn is so light!! I am very excited, it feels like a very light chenille, it is Awesome. Anyway - the yarn and the pattern was less than 20 bucks and it is going to make a fantastic summer lightweight sweater.

I'm so excited. I've never made a sweater, so we'll see how long it takes me. And maybe I'll need some help when I get to the end. Especially when it comes to sewing the seams.

Here is what I have so far of the back:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've finished a lot already! I'm glad you like the yarn.

I like the idea of a birthday gift to yourself. Maybe I'll try that next year.

KBlicious said...

oh! i thought you didn't get it! go you!!! love the color and it's looking great!!!! and OMG susan's project is looking GORGEOUS!!! i'd be squealing too!!!!

Susan said...

I am so tickled you're tickled! And your sweater start is fantabulous!! I meant to go get myself a bday gift at Angel's but never made it there - thanks for reminding me - I'll get myself something there as soon as school starts again. No quilt work this whole week - weird times - but I'm back at it today and plan to continue tomorrow - piecing is going really quickly now... just haven't figured out a quilting rationale yet, hmmmmm....